Churches and more churches: presenting in the Blue Mountains and Waverley

Above: Presbyterian Church, Blackheath.

Hector gave two architectural presentations during this week on some of New South Wales’ foundational churches.

The first took place at the Carrington Hotel in Katoomba for the annual conference of the Blue Mountains Association of Cultural Heritage Organisations.

“Starting to Build: the architecture of founding Christian denominations in the Blue Mountains” examined churches all throughout the greater Blue Mountains region.

The churches presented ranged from the 1870s to the 1970s, and proved to be of great interest to attendees of the history conference.

Meanwhile, St. Mary’s Anglican Church in Waverley is celebrating its 150th anniversary of its consecration in 1864. Its design, a beautiful exemplar of the English parish type, is by Edmund Blacket who gave Sydney many of its most celebrated buildings. Hector spoke as part of  NSW National Trust’s Heritage Festival, running throughout April and May. The event, “Vivid Interiors at Waverley: light, architecture and sound: the story of St Mary’s” featured a tour of the interior and was open to the public. The interior significantly maintains all of its original furniture, and for the event the original register of baptisms, communion plate and altar books were exhibited. The occasion attracted over 50 attendees from as far as Tasmania, all eager to learn more about one of Blacket’s achievements and the early ecclesiastical architecture of Sydney.

Rev. Peter Clark, Rev. Robert Forsyth, Hector Abrahams

Left to right: Rev. Peter Clark, Rt. Robert Forsyth and Hector Abrahams at St Mary’s Waverley. Photo by Walter Glover.

Church photographs © Hector Abrahams 2014