A prominent and much loved feature of the main street of Camden are the Macarthur Onslow Memorial Gates at the entrance to the Camden Showground. Major restoration work on these beautiful gates was planned and documented by Hector Abrahams Architects, on behalf of Camden Council. The completed restoration symbolises Council’s commitment to the streetscape of this colonial town.
For HAA, recovering the integrity of the gates and their adjoining tickets booths was the focus of a carefully considered works program. At the end of the building process, everything works as it should; major and minor repairs completed and missing architectural features restored.
The missing stone urns that originally adorned the gates have been reconstructed and reinstated. A large sliding door was recovered and works smoothly. Smaller but no less important work was done to rebuild the capping stone and replace gutters. New electrical distribution boards, essential for the power requirements of the Showground, have been located within one of the old ticketing booths. The work is set off by the new colour scheme of apple green and cream.
Designed by Herbert G Bailey and erected in 1933, the gates are ready to welcome the many visitors who attend the annual Camden Show.