HAA has just completed a new roof at Chatswood South Uniting Church, a prominent early north shore church in Sydney.
With a careful selection of conservation materials, the roof was reconstructed in keeping with the building’s style as it was in the 1930s. Traditional green glazed French Marseilles tiles were imported from Germany, producing a distinguished roof for the beautifully conserved building with accompanying cemetery.
The church’s 1930s green concrete roof had replaced the timber shingles roof first built in 1871. The green tiles eventually lost their colour. As much of the church fabric is not in its original condition HAA’s return to the 1930s style avoided an anachronistic approach.