HAA is currently involved in important changes to an 1856 colonial villa in Double Bay. It is one of only a few colonial houses in Sydney’s Eastern Suburbs to have an undisturbed relationship with its harbour setting. Leslie Wilkinson, one of Sydney’s best twentieth century architects, made modest but considered additions to the house in the 1940s, which have been much altered since. But whilst the garden remains intact, the entry setting does not; originally, the house addressed William Street, but it hasn’t done so since a 1940s subdivision when the entry was tucked around the side and hard to find.
A new facade has been designed for the side elevation, and construction has begun. Our work has been inspired by Wilkinson’s architectural concept to preserve the integrity of this Eastern Sydney rarity.