The clock faces on the tower of the Leichhardt Town Hall have been surrounded by scaffolding for the painting and façade restoration work being overseen by Hector Abrahams Architects. Every five and a half days the clock winder comes to the town hall to keep the mechanism on time. This week he was invited up the scaffolding to see the clock, face to face, along with the builder, Inner West Council’s project manager, Tony Nguyen and HAA’s Hector Abrahams and Olivia De Beus.
Commemorating the Diamond Jubilee of Queen Victoria’s reign, the English-made clock began operating on 22 June 1897. Part of our project includes work to the four clock faces to repair any damage or deterioration they have incurred.